Friday, August 17, 2018

Memories and Testimony

Today I had the wonderful opportunity of traveling to Manti for a wedding. As we drove through Sanpete County I couldn't help but think back on the time I spent there. The things I learned and how I grew spiritually changed my life forever.

When I moved to Ephraim for school twelve years ago, I never dreamed that Institute would come to mean so much to me. Nor was I sure that I even wanted to be there. And yet, during my first year at Snow, institute was my safe haven. As was the Manti temple. Most days I was at the institute building when I wasn't in class. And most Sundays I spent the afternoon on the temple grounds. My poetry became more Christ centered as I sat on the beautiful grounds and as I spent one morning weekly doing baptisms. I felt my relationship with my Father and Brother grow stronger and I knew They were aware of me. The time I spent down at Snow was exactly what I needed and Heavenly Father knew that... regardless of how much I fought it the summer I graduated from high school. I've got journals full of Revelation and poetry that I wouldn't have otherwise, and a foundation that doesn't leave me even when I am struggling.

I lost sight of all of this a few years after moving home. In the midst of a depression that I couldn't shake, I forgot the things I held so dear in Sanpete county. Because I lost sight of these things, I traveled down a path full of struggle, trial, darkness, doubt, and fear. After going to meet someone I had been talking to online and being date raped, the spiral continued and I honestly thought I would never feel better. Though it Took me several years, I found my way back to the foundation that came from my time in Manti and was able to go through the temple. Of course, I chose the Manti temple to go through because in my mind it was the obvious choice for me. Now, years later, after several more trials, struggles, and periods of doubt, I was able to return again to Manti and be reminded of all the things that have happened for my testimony since then, and I will always be grateful that the Lord knows is each individually, and what we need in our lives.

The wedding experience today was amazing, and I am so proud of the decisions my sweet friend has made that have led her to her amazing eternal companion and a temple marriage. I hope that when I grow up I can also be married in the temple for eternity. I'm grateful for the experiences in my life that have strengthened my testimony and allowed me to be a part of her wedding. I'm sad that I was not able to attend other weddings today, but I would never change today's experiences and events.

Always,
Leone

No comments:

Post a Comment